Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Certifiably Mad

Must be me... there must be a Pom way of saying this that I am not privy to.

In South Africa, if you need a certified copy of a document, you just take it to the police station, and anyone on duty can stamp and certify it for you...for free.

Here! Bloody Hell, what a palaver. First of all, nobody knows what I am talking about.

Google says  Phone your Library.

Library has no idea.

After a day, they called me back to say that the Bank, the Doctor or the Post Office can perform this service.

The Bank, The Doctor, and The Post Office have never heard of this and were most intrigued.


I phoned the Local Lawyers.
Slightly Dof Person answered the phone with a vague   "Hello?"
I asked if this was the number for the attorneys.
There are no attorneys here..they are SOLICITORS. He told me this in no uncertain terms.

So, not a great start.

After much explanation, he eventually grasped what I meant. (I hope)
And he will indeed provide me with a certified copy, for £15.
When I protested at this horrendous price, he told me it was really a bargain, and indeed, he is quite right, on further investigation, this could cost me upwards of £50.
Indeed, this seems to be such an unusual transaction that the dof SOLICITOR person is actually coming to my house to perform this unheard of transaction.

Anyone coming over to live in the UK from SA...go to the police station and have everything you own certified!

So , tomorrow, there is a person I do not know, coming to perform a service not heard of in the UK , at my house.
If you never hear from me again...please investigate my disappearance....







2 comments:

  1. I can do this for you Suzy, will do it for free, if you need it doing again, just send it up to me and I'll sort it out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cousin Jane! The SOLICITOR who did it didn't even have a stamp! £15 my arse!

      Delete