Thursday, May 3, 2012

Perceptions?

Very Very Odd.

When I first came to the UK , there were houses that I would not have spit on
 (spat on?) if they were on fire...now those very houses that I thought were kak ugly have become quite acceptable, even nice...

Whereas I  yearned for a "bungalow" or "normal house " as I previously perceived it to be, I now see a bungalow as being quite an odd and undesirable residence.
Must admit that this was indeed pointed out to me by Dr Lauren, but actually, she is quite right.
Resale for bungalows is impossible, and must admit, still am enough of an estate agent for this to bother me.

Semi detached no longer seems like a foreign concept.
Terraced housing , now, seems quite normal.
Also, I have got used to the idea of paying more than 100 times the price per square meter that I would have paid in South Africa.
Still, I do flinch at the prices here and think of what I could buy there for the same amount!

What I cannot get over , however, is no matter how wonderful and marvelous the house is inside, if it is ugly and has zero curb appeal...nope...can't go there!


There is a limit goddammit!




1 comment:

  1. I remember when I got there a verkrikde white with an anti-apartheid mentality - we went to tlook at a house that was, by all reasonable counts nie, new and in a nice area is there is such a thing, but what go me what the box room. I thought it was a pantry kind of thing. Where is the third bedroomyou advertised. That was it. I laughed. Back where I come from you don't put a child in a box - " most indignant she said, I grew up and in a box room. I was mean. "I rest my case. Moving on ..."

    But by then the news of SA was all over the place and we were the scum of the earth and I was angry as a snake.

    We eventually moved into a up stairs down stairs how with some challeneges, a dining room table sized garden and we didnt die . It was okay. I saw a nice house in Teddington if that helps - stayed with some friends of a friend for the night - but no not a bungalow - they look like those out in the field prefab houses that get moved when the job is done. You might as well buy land and a few containers. Just make sure you have hearting and flowing as opposed to dripping al al graden sprays for a shower. Theyalso wanted me to work at ASDA - at the end of the day I would of taken a job as a street sweeper ---- ones old ways dimnish and in time you will find a nice little house Susan can make into a museum of note. WRITE YOUR BOOKS! lOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete