Saturday, February 22, 2014

Alright?

I have been spending quite a bit of time " Oop North" 

The people there are amazingly  friendly , but I have an issue.

As a greeting, everyone says "Alright?"

I am unsure as to how to respond.

Is it like the South African "Howzit?" And you just say "Howzit" back?
Or does it require a response as in " I am fine, thank you . Are you alright?"

Does one say "Alright. Alright?"
Thus answering and asking at the same time?

Everyone says this, I kid you not.
Taxi drivers pick me up and say "Alright Flower?"

Shop people say "Alright?"

People pass you in the street and say "Alright?"

Sometimes there is no question mark.
Is this then a statement? Do I need to respond? 

Alright
Alright

Or is it Allright? Two l's?

It seems to be one "L"when they say it, but grammatically is it two 'L's?

Am I overthinking this? 

Any help would be gratefully received .








No comments:

Post a Comment