Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Traffic

Getting around on a day to day level is interesting.
Usually I take the underground from North Greenwich which is the Jubilee Line , and very handy. It takes about 8 minutes to walk to the station. Over the weekend the Jubilee line is closed (for repairs or whatever...I wish they would hurry up and fix it)
Then, instead, I take the 129 bus to Greenwich Cutty Sark DLR (docklands light railway) This DLR has no driver. It is like a big model train.
On my way to help Dr Lauren with the springclean, I decided to take the 129 bus instead of the jubilee line, on the theory that the DLR gets me closer to Dr Lauren and it is not such a long walk as taking the underground to Canary Wharf. (are you following this??)
Anyway, the point of the story is there was a combination of gasworks in Greenwich High Street and a crash in the Blackwall Tunnel. It took me an HOUR to travel about 500m. As soon as the bus could stop I got off and had a brisk half hour walk to the station. When there is a traffic Jam here, it is serious gridlock.
I felt strangely smug arriving at the station miles ahead of the bus.
Nonetheless it took me 2 hours for what should have been a half hour trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment