Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Facts of London

1) Weather
I am not going to go on and on about the weather , but it is FASCINATING, so I do have to comment.
I woke up at the crack of dawn this morning with sunlight streaming into the bedroom. Yay! I thought, and dashed up to the balcony for a fag.
Fact #1: Sun does not mean warmth
Not that it was cold...well, not really cold, but not as warm as the blue skies and sun would suggest.
HOWEVER...I have my smoking spot sussed. There is a little block building thingie up on the balcony (god knows what it actually is) and it is a fabulous wind screen. So this morning I sat behind it and the sun was lovely. Then it rained . With no warning whatsoever. Not a cloud in the sky. The clouds followed about 5 minutes later. Thats when I went to get dressed. Well what would you wear? No fucking idea.
Fact#2: Cloud does not mean rain.
6 o' clock this evening (5 o' clock to you in SA) the weather was glorius. Got home and dashed up to the balcony for a fag. Yay! I thought. Unfortunately the sun was no longer on the balcony. The aforementioned protective bunker was now casting a shadow. Fuck.


2) Accomodation
We went to look at an apartment. Debbie showed it to us. Oh how we laughed.

Second apartment (not Debbie) was better. The lift was larger than the bedroom in Debbie's apartment. Good start. No dishwasher. Well, better than Debbie's offering.That had no kitchen. Still a 'No'

Third apartment. Getting desperate now. Has a dishwasher. Is bigger than a single garage. We almost paid on the spot, but restrained ourselves. Handy features though, as you can shower, pee and brush your teeth all at the same time without moving a centimeter. I mean inch.


3)Bank
Bank was good. (at first) Paul left me in the bank, took my cell phone, (I mean Mobile) , and went to buy air time,( I mean top up). All went fine until Ruth asked for my address. I don't know it. Well, I do actually, I know it is 43 Old School Square, but I don't know the postal code. You can say 'house with brown roof in London' and if you know the postal code they will find you. If you don't know the fucking postal code which has a series of numbers and letters , you could draw a map and they wouldn't find you.
I left and went to find Paul. I got lost.
I have a bank account now. You don't need to know anymore than that.

Distances.
Remember that group that sang 'I would walk 500 miles'? It was not a declaration of love. It was a fact of life . You have to walk 500 miles to get anywhere. I walked 500 miles today. It may be good exercise. It may be interesting. It may even give me a rare opportunity to smoke...but it takes some getting used to. I am knackered.


Tomorrow is another day. So far so good. May soon learn how to upload pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment