Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wootton Bassett

There are some things that you should be informed about when you pass through passport control at Heathrow, and Wootton Bassett is one of them.

To my shame, I didn't know what it was. If  I had been pushed to answer, I would have said it was a football club.
Well? Chrystal Palace, Aston Villa....Wootton Bassett...Stupid Saffa

All the military funeral repatriations pass through the town.There was a programme on BBC about it... how sad and touching it was. All the old soldiers with their medals, all the families of the soldiers killed in Afganistan , all the townsfolk...they line the streets in respect and honour for our fallen soldiers.They come from far and wide, in their hundreds, every time a fallen soldier is sent home.

One mother in particular touched my heart. As her son came through the town in the hearse, she said " I did not cry today, I am very proud of my son, and would not like him to come home to see his mammy crying"

This year, 100 000 bikers came to the town in respect and honour of our dead. Every life lost here is respected. I like that.

1 comment: