Friday, October 25, 2013

Alison Bruce, author extraordinaire

Well, who knew?



It has taken this book to finally make me bond with Cambridge.
I realise that I know, and indeed , like the place much better than I thought.

I went to see Alison Bruce at the library in Fulbourne, which is a village very near to us, and what a fab evening.
Way way nicer library than ours, quite charmingly run by volunteers, self funded, but so many activities.
Nice people. 
They had wine.

Regular readers of my blog may recall the " Fuck  these Village People " episode.
Episodes , to be honest.
Not that I am taking it back..just that it doesn't apply to These Village People.

Anyway...
I have been to many book signing/talks, but can honestly say that Alison Bruce speaks so well, so - sharingly- if that is actually a word, that I think we could have listened to her for hours. 

Any other would be writers may know what I mean when I say some authors make you want to go home and slit your wrists and bleed to death over your own manuscript.

Not this one. 

I do realise that I will never write as well as she does (her research is impeccable, her descriptions- well, suffice to say I now never need to attend a post mortem, I was there in the pages of her book, so real that I could  feel the chill in the air and hear the cutting of the flesh, yes, it was that good.

I know that I will never be as nice as she is. (That ship has sailed!)
If I can write half as well and be half as nice, I think I may be in with a chance.

I told Dr Lauren that I felt I was bonding with Cambridge.

She said something along the lines of " About bloody time, thank christ, " and other dark mutterings accompanied by rolling of the eyes and sighs.

So, if you would like a real view of Cambridge, unadulterated by my moans and groans, a virtual tour of the places I have neglected to describe adequately in the past...but with a bit of murder most foul thrown in, read these books! 

Of course, you could just wait until I murder someone. 
One of the Fucking Village People.









No comments:

Post a Comment