Thursday, March 8, 2012

Driving in the Uk

How very cute is this? I want eyelashes for my car!
Yes, indeed , I have a car..known as the Wee Silver Bullet.
Today, for the first time ever, I drove using the SatNav.
(In South Africa I always knew where I was going, in London, there was never a need for a car.)
It took me less than 4 minutes to get to a place that had previously taken me just short of an hour to get to on the bus (2 buses actually)
So...wayyyyy early...I did look it up on google maps, but was somewhat disbelieving when they said 6 minutes.
My nerves!
First of all , the robots (traffic lights for non Saffas) are on the OTHER side of the road, not on the side where you stop. To add to this confusion, not all of them are like this.
Then there was a traffic light thing where there were 2 lights , at the same place...one was red, and one had a green arrow. Both facing me.
I panicked and the car behind me HOOTED.
Oh peep up your arse.
THEN, the traffic lights go orange before red, but then again orange before they go green.
The circles (roundabouts) , some of them are like fecking mountains..you can't see over them..other ones are a barely discernible bump in the road.
And don't even get me started on bus lanes and bicycle lanes and cyclists!
All a learning curve...and I am loving having a car.
I have not yet put petrol in the car. I don't intend to. I am going to run it almost dry until Saturday and then make The Hubby do it.
Seeing as apart from a brief foray into driving when we were in Cornwall, I have not driven for 3 years...I am taking it carefully.
I do not know what 20 miles an hour is, but this is the speed at which I travel.
Well...20 to 30.
The SatNav throws me into a total panic by saying "in 1050 feet, turn left"
There must be a way of making her go metric, stupid bitch.
Going to a large supermarket parking it is a good idea to know what your car looks like, or what the registration is.
Or, indeed, just remember where you park, which is working for me so far.
If I can get the eyelashes for The Wee Silver Bullet, it will be easier for me to find it.
Next week I am going to venture further afield.






No comments:

Post a Comment