Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Some interesting facts

1. Movies
They make movies ALL THE TIME in Greenwich. I love it. Yesterday they were filming Gullivers Travels starring Billy Connelly, Jack Black and Catherine Tate. I could have watched for hours. On the subject of movies, we went to see Last Chance Harvey with Dustin Hoffman (well, not with him, obviously, I mean starring Dustin Hoffman) It is filmed on the South Bank which is absolutely my favourite place of the moment. Go and see the movie, and look at the book market (I love that!) and you can see the Thames Clippers going up and down the river, which is our 'bus' home to Greenwich.

2. Summer
I feel very at home with the Cape weather here. It is rainy and windy and chilly. It is also supposed to be summer. I asked a few locals about this summer thing. They say 'oh yes, I remember last summer, it was a Thursday afternoon in July'
Not funny.
Anyway, I have watched Wimbledon for years, I know we are going to have some more sun.

3.TV
British TV is crap. We have 5 channels. It is just as bad as SABC. On Saturday they are eventually going to install our Sky box. Not too sure what this is but it gives us a lot more channels. I have read a lot of books.

4. Doctors
I now have a doctor. She is about 12, but very nice. The Health Centre is right across the pathway from us, so very convenient. The child doctor tut tutted at my '3 years out of date 'medicine I am taking. She said not a word about smoking though. This was a relief as I have not yet finished my South African cigarettes. Mainly because of the rain. It tends to wet the cigarette and spoil the whole smoking experience. So actually, I think I am doing quite well.

5. The 02
The 02 is FABULOUS. It used to be the millenium dome for those of you not in the know. Last night Beyonce was there, the night before, Britney. There is hope, though, as Pet Shop Boys, 10 CC , Madonna and just everyone is coming. I will choose carefully who I want to see seeing as the tickets cost a bloody fortune.
There is a Spur there, and a Nandos...but fortunately many other restaurants as well. Hee Hee.

6. Housework
This is crap. The flat has vinyl floors. They are really crap. But...my container has arrived so I am going to lay all my nice rugs over the crappy floor and then just clean around them.

7. Triple Glazing
This is magic. Cuts out all sound completely. There is a school right opposite us, close the windows and doors and you can still see the little bastards, but can't hear a thing! I love it!
I thought it would also cut out all dust. Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment