Thursday, September 3, 2009

Reading group

A Reading Group is so very very very not like a SA book club.
First of all it is in the library. Which is fine. The toilet is lovely, it smells like jeyes fluid. A librarian has to take you there. You cannot go on your own.
There was wine, admittedly, but there were 10 of us and there were 2 bottles of wine. Plastic mugs, Herbal tea and water. I think I drank most of the wine. Me and the 80 year old lady who seemed very sweet.
One packet (already opened) of Pringles, and a Tupperware container of roasted peanuts.
A tray of mixed assorted chocolate biscuits stuff ( you know I hate that chocolate shit)
Anyway, what happens at Reading group, is we all read the same book and then discuss it. To death. People make notes. This is very very different to Book club where we all gossip, get drunk. laugh and laugh, sing Karioke, and choose books at midnight, drive over Amanda's Lavender /and or/ crash into Ronels house....
BUT..I must say, it is very very good to have all these people with their opinions on the same book. Much much more structured than our book club. Margie would approve. Amanda would hate it. Not so much fun though, but perhaps I can corrupt them. At the very least I can improve the snacks.
Next month 's book is Barack Obama.
Everyone in Reading group is a lot older than me. This is fine. Angela is my best friend in the world and she is older than me. These are not quite potential Angela's though. BUT...who knows...maybe they are........... Having plaits that are grey and hang down to your waist does not make you a bad person. Odd, but not bad. Oh Angela please please come and visit me...i miss you so much!

The one mad person who doesn't read but still comes to the meeting and is really fat and takes up 2 chairs....ok.. fine. There has always got to be a mad person. Although we never had one in book club. Unless it was me and nobody told me.
The meeting starts off like a Vicar Of Dibley Meeting, which is fine, I am learning a lot about Greenwich.
Oh bloody hell please tell me this is not the replacement for my book club.
Ok this is actually so not funny

1 comment:

  1. /Do feel for you with that Reading club...could find a nicer name too...sounds like Gr 1... c a t = ? I will donate a really nice wine glass for you to take - perhaps it'll sink in! But, I must say, for my purposes, the nuts in tupperware etc sounds GREAT.. not so much the nuts, but certainly the tupperware! Always hated getting my crystal out!
    GUESS WHAT...BIG news -- I've managed to read a book. That's 3 years now. Really chuffed.

    ReplyDelete