Thursday, June 10, 2010

Saatchie again





I do love the Saatchie.....the exhibits are always...Challenging? Fascinating?
Is it Art?
Indeed, I am too ignorant to know most of the time.
Check out the 300 speakers . I just know that there was a wife somewhere that said 'Get this crap out of my house!!'
But no, and I quote
' this piece draws on notions of obsolescence and nostalgia , combining early 20th century technology and culture with a vast collection of recently discarded hi fi speakers. These disparate components are brought together through contemporary digital technology which not only distributes the sound but also controls the (found) vacuum cleaner which in turn drives the pianola' and I am stopping there because there is another whole paragraph which ends in ' a soft balance between order and chaos, organisation and it's rupture.
Basically it is a pile of 300 crap old speakers and a vacuum cleaner hose that moves. But what do I know???




1 comment:

  1. Im with you on the interpreting the more modern/out-there art. I tend to wander around the gallery glazed-eyed and head back to the masters. The mona gallery in Hobart apparently has a wall of vaginas. I'm not going to the mona.

    ReplyDelete