Saturday, June 29, 2013

I once lived in Welkom

Indeed I did once live in Welkom. 

For those of my blog readers not in the know, it is a gold mining town right in the middle of South Africa.
Set up and laid out by Ernest Oppenheimer who said at the time, that the gold would last 50 years.
And that's exactly what happened.
50 years is over now.

We lived in Welkom  for 12  years, it was a wonderful experience for us.
Good schools, good lifestyle, nice people.
Amazingly cosmopolitan.

It's sad that Welkom is now in a decline, but there was always a sell by date. 
It was  an interesting time indeed.

We survived a tornado, earthquakes, floods, droughts and fires.
Dust storms and hailstorms, escaped rhinos, it was an interesting life! 
For The Famous Brother, who started his career in Welkom, couldn't have been better! 

There is a Facebook page called , indeed, "I Once Lived in Welkom. "

A very nice member of the group takes the time to post the weather report.



 I know, and indeed knew when I lived there, that it gets very cold and very hot.
But now that I live in the UK...
From 1 degree to 22 degrees is OUR  ENTIRE year's weather! 
Not just all in one day! 
Bloody hell.

The only thing that consoles me is that we now have central heating and double glazing.
We did not have this in Welkom when it was -5 and we got dressed in our beds with the electric blanket switched on.....

Many friends from Welkom are in the UK now.
If  I think back,  I think our time in Welkom was amazing.











No comments:

Post a Comment