Sunday, September 29, 2013

South African Shame

I used to love a South African FaceBook page that posted delightful nostalgic pics of years gone by.
Childhood toys, old cars, adverts, sweets and treats long forgotten, magazines, music, it was charming. Fisher price toys, old shops like John Orrs, odd food we used to eat...

Almost overnight, it changed into a bitter, nasty, rascist diatribe.

I really do not know how this happened.

My theory is that the person running it was replaced.

The way I envisioned it, there was a nice, 40 to 50  year old woman who ran the page.
Suddenly she was replaced by a 50 to 60 year old male rascist pig.
Who brought out of the woodwork all the other horrible rascist , and I mean , really dreadful idiots who have ruined this page, and quite frightened me about how there ever will be any hope between black and white in South Africa .
I have left the page.
Really, all I said was " Wow  Is this post appropriate?"
And I was shot down in flames in quite a spectacular manner.

I know that I may not have too much credibility seeing as I no longer live in South Africa.
And, believe me, I do not mean to comment on something I know nothing about, but it's not as though I left the country before  or after the free elections. Or even left for any political reason. Or know 
nothing about South Africa.  I lived there all my life.

I understand that there is freedom of speech, I understand that you shouldn't be on a page that is not aimed at you...but , fuck ,really? 

A page that is recalling memories of South Africa is just recalling white memories? 
Up until the unfortunate posting that seemed to reveal all the fuckwits who subscribed to the page, I innocently assumed that this page was for all of us. 
Well, have your stupid page to yourselves. 
My daughter always says to me " You are not the Facebook Police"
She is right.
I am not.
But sometimes, you just have to be. 












No comments:

Post a Comment