Wednesday, April 20, 2011

5th May Vote

I have been in quite a state over this flipping vote.
Thank goodness I have been given plenty of time to think about it so that I can at least be a bit informed.

For the non-poms, this is what it's about .
(or, my limited understanding of it)

At the moment, the current system is 'first past the post' So, most votes win.
The AV (alternative Vote) means that you can vote for more than one person, so if your first choice doesn't get enough votes, your second and third will be counted.

In theory then, if only 100 people in the whole country vote, and 60 of them vote yes, it will be enough to change the way we elect our MPs.
And then, under the AV system , a candidate who comes third, can end up winning.

The Yes voters are saying that this is a way to get rid of non productive MP's , which is true. But there is non productive versus downright useless...or even quite mad, if you see some of the candidates.

I was initially swayed by peer pressure, as Joanna Lumley is championing the Yes vote
But, so is Ed Milliband, and he is a creepy person whom I do not trust.

Cameron says No.
Apart from the fact that he looks like Gareth Cliff from 5FM, which amuses me, I like Cameron.
I do not trust the Labourites. I have discovered that I am a dyed in the recently transported wool Tory.

It does worry me, slightly off subject, that a bunch of children are running the country.
But at least Cameron is a gifted child.

It will cost £250 million to implement this change. I don't like that. We can't afford it, thanks to the previous government.
There are only 3 countries in the whole world that use this AV system, Fiji, Australia, and Papua New Guinea.

So far, I am voting No.
The Hubby is voting Yes. But then again, he did vote for the Lib Dems, and Nick Clegg is voting Yes.

I actually have a headache now.






1 comment:

  1. I have a headache too - i stopped reading this halfway

    ReplyDelete