Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Damn anosmia!

Most of the time I dont care that I can't smell anything. I am used to it now.

Sometimes , it is a blessing, like when I get the train from London to Cambridge , and the only seat is the one next to the toilets...
Sometimes it's hard , when the chicken looks a bit dodgy , one day out of date...
Don't want to poison The Hubby!
Glad we don't have a gas hob!
On the up side, anyone can fart next to me...no problem!

Phantom  smells are the worst. You would think that you would get a nice smell to compensate for this affliction, but ..no. I can't believe that with anosmia comes a phantom smell. You would think it was bad enough not to be able to smell anyway, but, no, let's make it worse.

So far , as my phantom smells go , I have had cigarette smoke.... Not as nice as you would imagine actually....
That lasted about  6 months ...
However, much nicer than the next phantom smell which was urine.. About 9 months...

Now I am stuck with the smell of old clothes.

This is not as bad as you would imagine, some people have petrol or sewerage as the
phantom smells.

I try to smell nice smells, I hug The Hubby and inhale as much as I can...lordy if I could just smell  anything!  I wear perfume ,...not for me anymore,
.

Amazingly, in my dreams ,sometimes , I can smell. I love those dreams,but they are few and far between.

Sometimes in the fabric softtener aisle  in Tesco, I can almost smell it!  I don't know if it is a remembered smell or an actual smell, but I like it anyway!

So, all my friends, don't ever take for granted your sense of smell.
Who ever knew this would be an issue?
Bloody hell.
























2 comments:

  1. I am on here searching for anything that might tell me why I have lost my sense of taste and smell. I am caught between virus and dental anaesthetic. I started to be able to smell a few things again, my perfume as it is quite strong, sweetpeas, roses. However, I had a dental appointment yesterday and today I can't smell those things anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very fact that you can smell something again is really great. Sure that for you this is temporary, a dental thing, please keep me updated!

      Delete