Thursday, November 8, 2012

Magic moment

Magic moment indeed in reading group today.

We have a young Chinese Woman in our Reading Group.

This is the story she told today.

" When I was a teenager, I read Jane Eyre , in Chinese, and was fascinated by her description of a tree with red berries on it.
It was an amazing thing to me, and I wondered what such a tree would look like.

Many years later when I came to live in the UK, arriving in Belfast, I saw such a tree with red berries , it was the happiest moment of my life.

Jane Eyre is still my favourite book. I would love to read it in English, and , now I can try"

She is lovely .

I am spending all my days at the minute learning to Teach English As A Foreign
 Language .
It is really hard. 
And yet, here is she, with a knowledge of English literature, having read a classic, and me, trying to teach my own fecking language to people who probably appreciate it more than I do, as I curse the Second Conditional Past Simple.....






No comments:

Post a Comment