Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pom help needed

Yes! After an entire year of living in Cottage Grove, we have finally cracked the nod and been invited to a BBQ.
Across the road lives Man With Broken Ankle. He broke his ankle about  2 months after me, and we have been chatting on and off since. Today, after our chat about ankles and our comparison of scars, he invited me to a BBQ.

Problem is , I have forgotten his name. No big deal...I think he has forgotten mine as well.
 I have primed The Hubby, when we go to the BBQ, I will say "This is The Hubby" and then The Hubby will say" Paul" and in theory, Broken Ankle Man will say his name.
This is not my issue.

My issue is that a BBQ is not a braai. At Pom BBQ's,they cook sausages and burgers. So, do we be big show off  Saffas and arrive with steak and ribs, or do we go the Pom route and go with sausages? What if they don't do sausages and then we look like Chavs? What if they all do steaks and then we are stuck with eating crap sausages and burgers.
Perhaps we should go to the Saffa shop and get wors and ribs? Do I take a salad? A dessert? Flowers?

I think I will go over the road and throw myself on the mercy of Broken Ankle Man's wife (whose name I also don't know) and ask her about BBQ etiquette.Would that be a weird thing to do?
What if Broken Ankle Man told his wife that he invited us and she said something like "Oh bloody hell no, they are foreigners?"
What if  they see us as bad neighbours like Nigel The Wanker who feeds the pigeons and is under suspicion of keying a car? Or Marion the Dutch Lady who hates everyone in the street? Or the rest of the neighbours who are 90 in the shade and keep dying?
How do I approach my very first social engagement ever in the UK? With Poms ? Obviously, I have had many social occasions with ex Saffas. Totally different.
Bloody hell...how hard can this be??
HELP!




No comments:

Post a Comment