Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Royal Family

In South Africa, we did get rather limited coverage of the Royals, mainly confined to births, marriages and deaths,with a bit of fashion and scandal thrown in.
Here, they are part of our lives, a daily occurance, and for me, they have morphed from the caricatures that they appeared to be, and become 'filled out' as it were.
I have always, and still do, find it odd that the entire nation pays for one family, due to the circumstances of their birth, to live in a palace and in the lap of luxury.
But, I now feel a tremendous loyalty to the Queen, to the position rather than the person, and yes, I would curtsy to the Queen, and I do stand for the National Anthem.

There was an interview with Prince Philip, Fiona Bruce interviewed him on the occasion of his 90th birthday...goodness, what an absolute arse she made of herself, and what a delight The Duke was! Not one to suffer fools, and she is a fool indeed.
You would have thought she would have done her homework. Cringe cringe cringe...
Thank goodness the programme was more than just the interview.
 Having previously not known all that much about the Queen's Consort, I am now quite a fan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011vnn2/The_Duke_at_90/

We are steeped in History here, I live very close to Hampton Court, and to Kingston, where the Coronation Stone is..strangely positioned quite casually near  the bus stop next to  the municipal buildings.
A good lesson that could be learned by South Africans, history is history here, both good and bad.
It is important to remember what has gone before.

I am fascinated by the Tudors, and every day I learn something more about our history. What a pleasure to fill in the gaps in my knowledge just by a simple walk through London.
Some things I am embarrassed to admit to. For example,  I thought the Globe Theater was in Stratford upon Avon and was somewhat surprised to see it on the South Bank.

Geography, not so much. Most of the time, if I am slightly out of London, I have no idea where I am or where I am going.
At this point, I need to make a correction to a previous post..apparently we went to Suffolk, not Norfolk, so Dr Lauren informs me .
I rest my case.









No comments:

Post a Comment