Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Comic Relief again

I know I am going on about this, but it has truly impressed me.

In SA, we also had Red Nose/Comic Relief Day. I bought many Red Noses, although I did draw the line at buying one for the car.
Is there still Red Nose Day in SA? I hope so.

Here, you are made to be CONSTANTLY socially aware. Not just on Red Nose Days.
It is a Very Good Thing.

Every month I give (by debit order) £12 to Cancer Relief.

The original reason for me doing this was because I was approached by a young lad in the street, and I thought, Oh dear lord, what if this is the only job The Gorgeous Son can get in the UK, so I signed up immediately. (fortunately it wasn't )

I buy The Big Issue every week.

The Hubby also donates to a charity every month. In fact, everyone I know here does.
People volunteer. The Gorgeous Son volunteers for St John's Ambulance, and in fact is running the London Marathon for them. Dr Lauren and Darling Simon do a lot for charity, more than any of us actually.
There are many , many charity shops. In our wee village of Surbiton there must be at least 7 in the High Street alone.
I am aware of Children at Risk, the Plight of the Elderly, Donkey Abuse, Animal Abuse, and I now know about every disease from Alzheimers to Zadik Barak Levin Syndrome.
Why?
Because they are all highlighted every single day. Not to say I didn't know this was going on in SA, but it is easy to forget when you are so rarely reminded. We are selfish, most of the time.

When The Hubby and I turn 60 (horribly close) we will no longer pay for prescriptions, glasses, dentists or travel on buses. We will get a heating allowance, rebates on everything from council tax to TV and help whenever we need it.

You are so cared about here, that you, in turn, must care as well.
OK, they do go a tad overboard about smoking and drinking and healthy eating and 5 a day...but it is because they CARE. (and it costs the NHS money, I am not a total idiot, I do realise this!)

Nobody asks you for a fortune, usually it is £1 sent by sms. Millions of people do it. On the equivalent of 5Fm here (BBC Radio 1) they raised over £2 million in 3 days .

I Love it.
I am a better person when I am a Pom.









No comments:

Post a Comment